The Big O.C.

September 17, 2011 · 4 comments

How was your week? This has been mine…

The back pain started Tuesday and got worse by Wednesday. Overnight Wednesday, it radiated to my right hip and front right lower abdominal area. Thursday it was mostly in hip and abdomen, so I figured I had over-compensated with the back pain. I joked at work that I needed a hip replacement due to old age and couldn’t believe the chiro didn’t open until 2!! At 2:02, I ran (ok, sped) to the Chiropractor for an adjustment, and it really seemed marginally better. Dr. J said I was really out of alignment.

So, I took some Advil, suffered through getting boys to dentist and soccer practice; whined a bit (ok. A LOT) and called it a day.

Thursday night the pain worsened, especially in the front and I was shivering. I’m rarely cold, so that was odd.

Friday morning I woke up nauseous, so after getting Matt to the ped for his yearly physical, I came home and went back to bed, had chills and sweats and the nausea got worse. I haltingly decided I should go to Urgent Care to rule out appendicitis. The doctor immediately “transferred” me to ER @ St. Joe’s due to the feeling it was appendicitis and to get a cat scan.

That ride home was hell. Traffic was backed up because of construction and I was trying not to panic. I couldn’t stop crying; the pain was horrid and I kept thinking how scared I was to have surgery.

At that point, I called my mom so she could come hang with the boys so Mike could take me to the ER. Thankfully she was available! As soon as Mike brought the kids home, we took off.

The ER examined and felt it might be kidney stones or appendix, since symptoms seemed to cover both. They got us back to a room and scheduled CT for 8:30 (we arrived at 5ish). Luckily, the contrast was very watery and I was very thirsty!
We were told CT results would be 45-60mins. That’s when the waiting began!

The results came in and the Dr said, surprisingly, that it wasn’t either, but rather a cyst on my right ovary. They needed to do an ultrasound to make sure it wasn’t twisted or ruptured. I had to have a full bladder, so I was finally allowed to drink water, yay! In the meantime, while I had been sleeping on and off due to the beauty that is morphine, Mike was getting more and more exhausted and frustrated. It was midnight before they took me down for the ultrasound!

It was, by far, the most painful ultrasound I’ve ever had…not helped by the fact that the tech was bitchy. I was totally crying and my muscles in my back all seized up because I was trying to be relaxed.

It was finally over and she said she take it right to the doctor to look at.
It was almost 2 hours later when the ER doctor came in and told me that OBGYN would be down to talk to me. We talked about me getting admitted, after 8 hours, so I sent
Mike home.

OBGYN never came down; there was a shift change and my new ER doc came in, said OBGYN looked at the ultrasound, said it was a cyst and to follow up with my doc within 5 days. I asked about them letting me stay or admit me for the night and was told there was no reason(!). Even though Dr. C had said they could, this guy was saying no. Not only that, but he was speaking to a person who had been on morphine for hours and couldn’t keep her eyes open! I asked that he please check with his boss, especially since I had already sent Mike home.

I figured this would at least buy me some more time and drugs and sleep. My new nurse came in, asked about pain and returned with pills instead of a syringe. I knew then I was defeated.

So at 3:48 am, I was texting my mom to come get me. I am so thankful she decided to stay the night…there is no way Mike would have been able to get back in the truck having only been home for an hour.

I got home around 4:45 and fell right back to sleep. When I woke up this morning, Mike had gotten the kids up and taken them to soccer (of course this was the weekend for early pictures and then a game!

I’ve been sleeping on and off all day. The pain comes and goes in intensity but a baseline pain is always there. I’m alternately hot then cold, so I’m using ice when hot and heat when cold. Along with some Coke (the soda) and drugs, I’m hanging in there. It’s not pretty though. The flip-flopping, trying to find a comfortable spot; the crazy dreams…I feel like a fish out of water.

Mike has been hanging with the kids, my mom did laundry and dishes for me; the boys are somewhat worried but not too much. So I’m thankful for that.

But this pain? This not knowing if it’s going to rupture or fade away? Is killing me. I hate being in bed all day, especially when I can’t even watch tv because I’m in and out of sleep so much! I’ve probably fallen asleep and dropped my phone 20 times today while writing this or tweeting or texting.

Also, I’m getting more peeved that OBGYN never talked to me…poor form that a printout in discharge papers doesn’t make better. 🙁

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

Brittany September 17, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Oh honey, I ache for you. I know how horrible this is, and if you need an ear, call.



Jill Dettman September 17, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Went through this exact same thing many years ago. Pain/nausea exactly as you describe. It subsided. It almost always does, said my gyno. I discovered that it is a rare thing to have it repeat, especially at our age. Only suggestions I’d make is drink lots (don’t let that contrast sit in your kidneys) and stay ahead of the pain. Your own gyno will hopefully have much better advice for you than the ER did. Our ER stories sound very similar, too. Must be standard procedure when dealing with these. And dare I say entirely dismissive once they discover the pain is “only a cyst”?


Loralee September 19, 2011 at 10:21 am

I am completely mystified why you have not been scheduled for surgery?

I am so sorry, honey. I have not had that issue but friends and family have and it is excruciating. I want to throat punch your ER and doctor. xoixoxoxox


flutter September 25, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I had 4 cysts on my left ovary when I was 17, that was a total suckfest. Hopefully you feel better soon


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: